Germany is a country known for its rich and flavorful cuisine, from schnitzel and sauerkraut to pretzels and beer. Taking a culinary journey to Germany can be an exciting and delicious experience, and this unique recipe for German Potato Pancakes will help you do just that.
German Potato Pancakes, or Kartoffelpuffer, are a traditional dish in Germany. They are made from grated potatoes, onions, eggs, and flour and are usually served with applesauce or sour cream. The pancakes are typically fried in butter or oil until golden brown, and can be served as a side dish or as a main course.
To make German Potato Pancakes, you will need the following ingredients:
• 4 large potatoes, peeled and grated
• 1 onion, finely chopped
• 2 eggs, lightly beaten
• 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon of salt
• 1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
• 4 tablespoons of butter or oil for frying
1. In a large bowl, combine the grated potatoes, onion, eggs, flour, salt, and pepper.
2. Heat the butter or oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
3. Drop the potato mixture by spoonfuls into the hot oil and flatten each pancake with the back of a spoon.
4. Cook the pancakes for about 4 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
5. Transfer the pancakes to a plate lined with paper towels to absorb any excess oil.
6. Serve the pancakes hot with applesauce or sour cream.
German Potato Pancakes are a delicious way to take a culinary journey to Germany. The combination of potatoes, onions, eggs, and flour creates a savory and flavorful dish that is sure to please. Whether you’re serving them as a side dish or as a main course, these pancakes are sure to bring a taste of Germany to your kitchen.